Thursday, November 18, 2010

And they're in!

A year after completing the renovation of our kitchen, we have just had our beautiful bi-fold doors installed.   Just in time for summer!  We were hoping to have the new deck built before Christmas too, with visions of a summery Australian celebration outdoors.......  Alas the funds have dried up for the time being, so that will have to wait until the new year. 

Bi-folds doors closed
We chose a local company called Ryleho to manufacture and install our doors.  They are completely custom made using Western Red Cedar.   After much research, I kept coming back to Ryleho as their product is so well resolved and definitely the best in regard to quality.   

Bi-fold doors open
 The bi-folds have a retractable fly-screen built into the frame of the door that you wouldn't even know was there when they are folded away (see the thin black lines on the very left and very right hand sides of the doors? They are more apparent in the first image).  The sliding mechanism of both the fly screens and the doors themselves is super smooth and whisper quiet.  The glass is all double glazed.  All of these things added up to paying a decent amount for the doors, but my philosophy is that when it comes to major items like these, you really get what you pay for.  You need to spend money on the things that really matter.


Doors open with roll-out fly screens closed

Now I just need to get busy staining them.  I quite like the colour they are now, so maybe just a sealant?  And I am yet to decide whether to stain/seal them on the outside, or paint them charcoal grey, as I am with the rest of the exterior windows of the house....?

5 comments:

  1. your blog is rather splendid
    just putting it out there! :-)

    x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look good, love my bi-folds, i didn't get the fly screen though, i figured easy come, easy go?
    it would be a shame to hide the beautiful cedar but would also be nice to match in with everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Anne PangilinanJanuary 9, 2011 at 8:37 PM

    Hi Barb,

    Just stumbled upon your blog while I was looking for Tom Dixon lights in the kitchen! Love your kitchen - it's gorgeous - you've done a great job - love the O & L wallpaper too!

    We are building our house this year and I was wondering what you think of having the Tom Dixon Copper lights in a kitchen like this one:

    http://clarecousins.com.au/projects/residential-additions/downshire-road-residence/

    Our kitchen will be virtually like that one. I love the TD lights but will the copper go with the stainless steel bench. We are having lots of stainless steel, the back bench will measure about 6metres. What do you think? Any other suggestions on lights? I like the Caravaggio in white...

    I am thinking of having the Lightly yellow Belle Lamp in the bathroom. You have great taste - have just been reading all your old posts!

    If you could give me some advice that would be great!

    Kind regards,

    Mary Anne

    PS - I wasnt sure where I could email you, so I just posted a comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Anne PangilinanJanuary 9, 2011 at 8:53 PM

    Hi Barb

    Sorry my email is maryannepangilinan@hotmail.com ,

    Ciao

    MA

    ReplyDelete